Alcobaca: 72 km from Quinta da Cotovia
Alcobaça is located in the valleys of the rivers Alcoa and Baça, which according to some writers Alcobaça gave the name. Others claim that the name of this place has an Arab origin, that is to split up the two rivers.
The city of Alcobaça owes its fame and development to the monastery or Royal Abbey of Santa Maria, founded in 1153 by order of the order of Cistercians. The building only to caught in 1178 in areas that were donated to brother Frei Bernardo de Claraval, founder of the order of Cistercians, by the first King of Portugal, d. Afonso Henriques, in fulfilment of a vow, after the reconquest of Santarém, which was under Moorish to 1147.
The monastery covered a large area, also called the "couto" (shelter) of Alcobaça, where the order of Cistercians, the places in the area, the towns and the estates organized and made agriculture more dynamic, new techniques and products introduced, characteristics that are preserved to date. The region is still one of the most important fruit producers of Portugal.
Built according to the model of the Abbey of Claraval, the mother house of the order of the Cistercians in Mosteiro de Alcobaça Monastery, France is a nice monument that has been declared by UNESCO World Heritage of humanity.
The gastronomy and sweets were influenced by the monasteries in the region; next to the monastery in Alcobaça there is also a women's monastery in Cós and the Capuchin monastery in Évora the Alcobaça. The most famous delicacy is the Pão de Ló (kind of airy cake) which is also known under the name Alfeizerão, to the place where this is being made.
Worth mentioning is also the Crystal of excellent quality, as well as the objects of clay and ceramics.